When you’re on the road to go holiday shopping, it can be tempting to call up a friend or family member for advice on a present or to express your excitement about seeing them over the holidays. However, for your safety and the safety of others, it is important to take extra precautions while driving during the holiday season. During the holidays, highways and parking lots place drivers at an increased risk of being involved in an accident. In fact, according to the National Safety Council (NSC), car accident claims usually increase during the holidays. A large majority of holiday car accidents occur in the parking lots and garages of shopping centers.
If you have been involved in a car accident in California, the auto accident lawyers at Setareh Law are here to help you navigate the claims process and help you on the road to recovery. Here is some important information to know about the rise in car accidents during the holiday season.
What to Know about Distracted Driving
Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents in California. During the holidays, drivers are more distracted than ever. A poll from the National Safety Council found the following information about distracted driving:
- 66 percent of drivers admitted to making or taking phone calls while driving through a parking lot or garage.
- 63 percent of drivers said they enter destinations into a GPS system while driving.
- 56 percent of drivers admitted to texting while driving, and 52 percent admitted to scrolling through social media.
- 50 percent of drivers admitted to driving while checking their email.
These statistics display the importance of taking extra precautions on the road—especially during the holidays.
How to Prevent Parking Lot Car Accidents
To ensure your holidays are accident-free, you should follow some simple tips for safe driving. Some ways to prevent getting into a crash in a parking lot or garage include:
- Reduce speed. Parking lots and garages are packed with pedestrians and vehicles. Driving slowly will give you time to react to any pedestrians and other vehicles you may not initially notice.
- Follow traffic signals. Parking lots are especially crowded during the holidays, which can make it tempting to cut lanes and avoid traffic signals to get out quicker. However, acting in this way is a recipe for a car accident. To avoid accidents, follow all traffic signals in signs while driving in a parking garage.
- Check your texts, emails, and social media before driving. To minimize distracted driving dangers, find a place to check your phone before you start driving.
- Avoid parking in tight parking spaces. If you can, avoid parking in congested areas that are prone to accidents.
Following these simple steps will help you avoid parking lot accidents and ensure your holidays don’t include an insurance claim.
The Impact of Parking Lot Car Accidents
Each year, there are approximately 60,000 injuries and 500 fatalities that occur from parking lot crashes. The majority of accidents involve pedestrians and cars that back up from their parking spot without being aware of their surroundings. During holidays, the congestion of parking areas makes them especially prone to devastating accidents. If you have been involved in a parking lot accident, it is imperative to contact a trusted California personal injury lawyer.
Seek Legal Counsel With a Skilled Personal Injury Lawyer in California
If you have been involved in a car accident in California, it is best to seek counsel from a skilled personal injury lawyer. At Setareh Law, our team provides unmatched legal representation for plaintiffs across California dealing with car accident claims. Our experienced team can evaluate the facts of your case, discuss the avenues for compensation, and serve as your counsel throughout the personal injury claims process. To schedule a free consultation with one of our trusted attorneys, complete an online contact form or call today at (310) 659-1826.