California’s beautiful scenery and the weather is ideal for outdoor activities. Of these activities, skateboarding is one of the most popular. While there are laws on the books relating to safe skateboarding practices in California, motorists still owe a duty of care to watch for skateboarders riding near them. Skateboards offer virtually no protection when a person is hit by a vehicle, and as such you are much more likely to suffer from serious injuries or to be killed when struck by a vehicle. That’s why having an experienced skateboard injury attorney to fight for your rights is vital to your compensation.
The dedicated team of California personal injury attorneys at Setarah Law understand just how devastating accidents involving skateboards can be. With them on your side, effective representation of your rights is their ultimate goal.
Skateboarding and California Law
California state law permits local governments to adopt their own skateboarding laws, meaning that skateboarders (as well as bicyclists, scooter riders, and other forms of non-motorized transportation) have the legal right to use the road in California. While skateboarders have the general right to ride on the road, there are some provisions that they must follow:
- Skateboarders under the age of 18 must wear helmets at all times
- Must stop at all stop signs and red lights
- Must yield to all vehicles at yield signs
- Must yield to pedestrians at both marked and unmarked crosswalks
- Must not impede traffic or interfere with the flow of traffic
- Must yield to approaching vehicles when entering any roadway
- Must not be towed by a motor vehicle of any speed or a bicycle at an unsafe speed
- Must yield to bicycle lanes to bicycles and not use bicycle lanes in any manner contrary to the free and open use of those lanes by bicycles;
- Must not suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and travel into the path of a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.
Even if skateboarders follow all of the above provisions of the law, injuries can (and usually do) still happen. While not all skateboarding accidents are due to the negligence of others, when another party is at-fault for your skateboard injuries, you could be entitled to recovering compensation.
Common Injuries in Skateboarding Accidents
Much like bicycling or electric scooters, the injuries that are typically involved when a motorist collides with a skateboarder are minor for the driver and major for the person on the skateboard. Skateboards also have a high probability of fall injuries, as you are moving at high speeds on different roadways. In all of these instances, the lack of protection afforded by skateboards can lead to a common list of injuries, including:
- Muscle strains
- Joint dislocations
- Fractured or broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Because skateboarding injuries are typically very serious and involved, the costs and treatment associated with them can quickly become overwhelming. Working with our experienced personal injury attorneys can ensure that your legal and financial needs are met.
What To Do If You’ve Been in a Skateboarding Accident
If you have been in a skateboarding accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your potential compensation:
- Seek medical care immediately
- Document any injuries you may have.
- Obtain the police report from your accident. If the police do not respond to the scene of the accident, you may have to contact them to file a formal report.
- Obtain all of the at-fault party’s contact and insurance information.
- Do not provide an official statement to or communicate with the insurance company.
- Speak to one of our personal injury attorneys.
By following these steps, you can ensure that whatever damages are available to you (compensatory, punitive, or otherwise) will hold up in court. Furthermore, dealing with an insurance claim on your own could be difficult. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators that can represent your best interest.
Contact an Experienced California Personal Injury Attorney
At Setarah Law, our experienced, compassionate California personal injury lawyers are always available for you. We know that skateboarding accidents can and often do cause life changing injuries. Our top priority is the emotional needs of our clients during these difficult times and we’re glad to ease the burden by handling the legal side of the situation. Reach out to our office today to schedule a free consultation. Our office speaks both English or Spanish, and can be reached 24/7 at (310) 659-1826 or by completing our contact form.