Most Bicycle Accidents Resulting in Serious Injuries Involve Another Vehicle
There are many different causes of bicycle accidents. It has been determined that most bicycle accidents that result in a serious injury happen when a motor vehicle driver is not paying attention to the area surrounding their vehicle. If the operator of a car, van, truck, bus or other motor vehicle comes into contact with a bicycle causing serious personal injury the driver may be held responsible.
A bicycle accident that does not involve a car, truck or other object provides a small amount of energy whereas an accident involving another object can provide a significant amount of energy.
Personal injuries are related to the energy produced by the accident. Falling off and hitting obstructions tends to be relatively minor, usually not involving a hospitalization.
There have been Advancements in Bicycle Safety
There are many programs such as the Effective Cycling program together with changing National Standards that are designed for the protection of the those who enjoy bicycle riding.
Bicycle accident injuries are unfortunately all too common, especially in Los Angeles. Setareh Law knows what you have been through. Our law firm has knowledge in all aspects of bicycle equipment, accident reconstruction, roadway design as it relates to bicyclists and these factors may be a crucial part of your case. Laws change all the time and there are many traffic laws concerning bicycles and not knowing those laws does not provide protection to those who injure a bicyclist. As a bicyclist, you have rights. Call us today if you’ve been injured and find out how we can help you.
Sharing The Road
What Automobile Drivers and Bicyclists Should Know
- Cars and bicycles must obey the same traffic laws. Regardless of what type of vehicle you are operating, you must obey stop signs, traffic lights, and yield to pedestrians.
- Bicycles are required to have an operational headlight to use at night time just like all other vehicles. In addition, bicycles must have reflectors on the back of their bicycle so that cars will be able to identify a bike at night.
- Bicycles should never ride against the flow of traffic. Riding with the flow of traffic helps reduce the amount of accidents that occur.
- Motor vehicles and bicycles are required to have operating brake systems that are good enough to bring the vehicle to a complete stop within 25 feet of using the brake system.
- All passenger vehicles and bicycles may not transport more passengers than the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Bicycles must always use the bicycle lane when traveling on a road. If there is not a designated bicycle lane, the bicycle must remain on the far right of the road. The only exception to this rule is if there is something in the far right lane, such as construction, that could potentially harm the bicyclist.
- Drivers of a bicycle must use arm signals to turn and must implement this signal no less than 100 feet from the point in which they are going to turn just like a motor vehicle.
- Many local laws prohibit the use of earbuds or headphones while driving a bicycle.
Bicyclists and passenger vehicle drivers should make themselves aware of these rules of the road to help prevent bicycle accidents from occurring. Injuries sustained during a bicycle accident are often very traumatic, with head and spine injuries being the most common occurrences.
It is also very important for bicycle drivers to use a safety helmet when they are on the road. Helmets are a very good safety tool for reducing the impact on the head and help prevent traumatic brain injuries. However, helmets are not a guarantee that an injury will not occur.
If you have been in a bicycle accident, it is very important to seek medical attention, even if the injuries seem small. Brain injuries can occur for even the slightest bump to the head or jolt to the neck area. A quick medical response is necessary for the best treatment options for this type of injury.
Free Attorney Consultation
If you or someone you know has been involved in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles, please contact us for a free evaluation of your case.