Beverly Hills Scooter Accident Lawyer
Have You Been Injured in a Scooter Accident?
Over the past couple of years, electric scooters have gained popularity. Around the country, electric scooter companies are popping up and offering city residents an alternative means of transportation. In the Los Angeles area, Bird and Lime scooters can be rented all around the city. At any given time, there are more than 16,000 e-scooters being used by residents of the greater LA area.
Scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles are both fun and economic modes of transportation. However, operators of these vehicles are often at a higher risk for accidents than someone driving a car. Beverly Hills and surrounding areas have lots of traffic, and drivers can be aggressive, rude, and lack the attention span needed to protect the operators of smaller vehicles. If you use a scooter as your primary mode of transportation, it is important to know ways to protect yourself on the road and the essential steps to take should you be involved in a crash.
The Most Common Causes of Scooter Accidents in California
While scooter accidents can occur for a number of reasons, some of the most common causes of scooter accidents in California include:
- Lack of visibility. Many drivers blame visibility issues as the primary cause of a scooter accident.
- Collisions at an intersection. The most common location for a scooter accident to occur is at an intersection. Whether a driver runs a red light or makes a left turn in front of a scooter going straight, intersections lend themselves to all kinds of scooter accidents.
- Driving under the influence (DUI). People often fail to realize that DUI laws extend to all kinds of vehicles, including bikes and scooters. Intoxication while operating a scooter is a common cause for scooter accidents.
Surviving a car crash due to any of the above can be traumatic, and may disrupt your everyday life as you strive to recover. You deserve justice after sustaining a scooter accident in California.
Any accident can be traumatic and overwhelming to navigate. If you are involved in a scooter accident, there are important steps to take to ensure your rights are protected and that you have essential evidence should you choose to pursue legal action. Here are some of the most important steps to take after a scooter accident:
- Assess the medical injuries of yourself and anyone else involved in the crash. If there are serious injuries, call for medical help immediately.
- Be sure to get contact and insurance information from every person involved in the crash that was operating a vehicle. Additionally, be sure to collect the driver’s license number, plate number, and type of vehicle from all parties involved.
- If you can, use your phone to take pictures of the scene, including any damages to your vehicle or any injuries you sustained.
- Report the accident to your insurance company in a timely manner. Prompt reporting helps to ensure you get the best compensation.
- Even if you don’t have obvious injuries, be sure to see a doctor, as some conditions caused by crashes have a delayed onset.
Additionally, partnering with a qualified scooter accident attorney in California can lead to a larger payout at the conclusion of the claims process. With an attorney advocating for your interests, you can be protected from the devious tactics of the insurance company responsible for your compensation.
If you are involved in a scooter accident, a skilled personal injury lawyer can help you receive compensation for any incurred damages. Some damages you may be eligible to claim after a scooter accident include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Physical and emotional pain
- Reduced earning capacity
- Vehicle repairs
Unfortunately, most insurance companies will try to settle for the lowest amount possible. Working with a personal injury lawyer is the best way to ensure you receive a fair settlement.
Most e-scooter companies require users to sign a user agreement. This agreement is often used as a crucial element in determining liability in a scooter accident. The user agreement is a legal document between a scooter rider and the scooter company and usually limits a company’s liability in the event of an accident. For example, most scooter companies have user agreements that require riders to follow traffic laws, claim they are physically able to operate a scooter, and perform a safety check on the scooter before riding. Additionally, most user agreements state that the company is not liable for defective scooters.
Most user agreements are long, complex documents, and as a result, most people riding a scooter simply check a box instead of reading all the conditions of use. If a rider breaks a single condition in the user agreement, they can be blamed by the scooter company for any injuries or damages from a scooter accident.
Whether you have been injured while riding an e-scooter or hit by one, you may have the right to monetary compensation. Navigating liability issues on your own can be a challenge, which is why it’s best to find an attorney who is experienced in understanding complex liability issues and documents.
If you have been injured from a scooter accident, the personal injury lawyers at Setareh Law are here to help. Our team of skilled attorneys prides themselves on providing unmatched legal representation for plaintiffs across California dealing with personal injury and car accident matters. As members of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal counsel. To schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled personal injury lawyers, call today at 310-659-1826 or fill out our online contact form.