Beverly Hills Boating Accident Lawyer
Have You Been Injured in a Boating Accident?
Boating accidents are common and often result in significant injuries. While there are many factors that can cause a boating accident, one of the most common contributors is negligent or reckless behavior, such as speeding or navigating a boat while under the influence. If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident in the Beverly Hills area, it’s important to seek legal counsel from a skilled Beverly Hills boating accident lawyer. Here is some important information to know about boating accidents in California.
How Common Are Boating Accidents?
In the United States, boating accidents occur more than you may think. Because boating sites are accessible year-round and many states enjoy pleasant weather throughout the year, boating has become a popular pastime for many Americans. However, like any activity, boating comes with the risk of accidents.
Each year, the United States Coast Guard compiles a report on recreational boating accidents. In their 2020 report, they found there were 5,265 accidents that involved 767 deaths and 3,191 injuries. The report estimated the total cost of property damage caused by these accidents to be approximately $62.5 million dollars. The report listed factors such as driving under the influence, distracted operation, and failure to wear a life jacket as some of the common causes of boating accidents.
What Are the Different Types of Boating Accidents?
There are many different factors that can contribute to a boating accident. However, some of the most common kinds of boating accidents include:
- Boating under the influence. Operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol is one of the biggest causes of fatal boating accidents. Just like driving under the influence, boating under the influence (BUI) is illegal in every state and pertains to both drugs and alcohol. This law pertains to any kind of boat, including as canoes, yachts, sailboats, and private motorboats.
- Equipment malfunctions. Unmaintained or defective equipment can lead to a dangerous boating accident. In these scenarios, the company that made the parts will likely be investigated as contributing to the accident.
- Failure to follow boating rules. Just like roads on land, bodies of water have strict guidelines that boat operators must follow. These rules determine how the boat should be operated, where it can be used, and who can operate the vessel. If a person violates these rules, they can be liable for any injuries in an accident.
- Speeding. Many waterways will have speed limits boats must follow. Driving a boat at high speeds can make it difficult to control and navigate. Additionally, speeding can intensify the severity of an accident in the case a crash occurs.
All of these factors can contribute to boat accidents and can cause injuries to passengers on board.
Common Boating Accident Injuries
Every boating accident is unique and different accidents will be accompanied by varying degrees of injuries. However, some of the most common injuries incurred in boat accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Amputated limbs
- Wrongful death
- Amputated limbs
- Strains and sprains
If you have suffered an injury in a boat accident as a result of another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for any injuries or damages you incurred in the accident. The best way to ensure a successful claims process is to work with a skilled Beverly Hills boating accident attorney.
Consult a Boating Accident Attorney in Beverly Hills Today
If you have been involved in a boating accident and incurred injuries or other damages, the Beverly Hills personal injury lawyers at Setareh Law are here to help. Our team of skilled attorneys prides itself on providing unmatched legal representation for plaintiffs across California dealing with personal injury and car accident matters. As members of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal counsel. To schedule a free consultation with one of our boat accident lawyers, call today at 310-818-7492 or fill out our online contact form.