Beverly Hills Distracted Driving Lawyer
Have You Been Injured in a Distracted Driving Accident?
In Beverly Hills, California, auto accidents can happen to anyone. With the amount of traffic on the roads, drivers in the Golden State are well aware of how dangerous it can be to take their eyes off the road for even a moment.
Although they may take precautions, drivers can sometimes encounter distractions that prevent them from giving their full attention to the task at hand. If you were recently injured in a collision as a result of distracted driving, learn more about the laws that will apply to your case before bringing it to court.
Distracted Driving Laws in California
The frequency of distracted driving incidents has increased in recent years, with California’s DMV reporting that 65% of all accidents in the state are caused by a distraction of some kind. These incidents are more common among younger drivers, with studies completed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) showing that drivers aged 15 to 19 were more likely to be distracted at the time of the crash.
Recently, a legislature has been passed in California to protect against distracted driving. The newly enacted AB 47 prevents anyone from operating a cellphone while driving unless it is an emergency. These new laws prevent drivers from using their hands to make a phone call or send text messages while operating a vehicle. This includes texting at a red light or using your phone to adjust the music. Penalties for violating this law include a fine, and after July 1, 2021, drivers will receive a point on their driving record for a minimum of 36 months.
Types of Distractions That Lead to Auto Accidents
The CDC has conducted a series of studies on distracted driving and discovered that there are three distinct categories. These distractions can interfere with a driver’s focus in different ways, but each of them prevents the driver from fully paying attention to the road.
- Cognitive distractions:
- Overwhelming emotions like stress or sadness
- Thinking about something other than driving, or “spacing out”
- Physical injuries, lack of sleep, or overexertion
- Manual distractions:
- Using a cell phone
- Eating or drinking
- Applying makeup or putting on clothing
- Reaching for items inside the vehicle
- Visual distractions:
- Objects in or near the road
- Events such as a car accident or someone being pulled over
- Pedestrians moving in or near the road
There are many other ways that drivers in Beverly Hills can be distracted while they are behind the wheel. Regardless of what caused the accident, it is important to know what to do after it has occurred to ensure that you receive compensation for your damages.
What to Do After an Accident with a Distracted Driver
Distracted driving accidents are dangerous and frightening for everyone involved, even the individual who caused the crash. It can be difficult to know how to proceed after a distracted driving incident. The first step is always to check that no one has been severely injured. Once you have ensured that all parties are safe and out of harm’s way, there are a few vital steps to take that will benefit your case.
- Obtain evidence. Take photographs and videos of the incident, making sure to include all of the vehicles involved, debris that may have been on the road, and footage of physical damage such as scratches or cuts
- Gather witness testimony. If there were any pedestrians around at the time of the accident, be sure to ask them for a video or written statement that includes their identifying and contact information.
- Contact your insurance company. When reporting the accident to your insurance company, be sure to supply them with a copy of the police report and any evidence such as photos or videos from the scene of the crash
- Reach out to an experienced lawyer. Working with a licensed law professional can make it easier for you to obtain compensation for any damages that you experienced as a result of the accident
Insurance companies may try to prevent you from obtaining repayments for damages or injury, but an experienced distracted driving lawyer can help you get the justice that you deserve.
Work with a Trusted Beverly Hills Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer
No one should have to go through the criminal justice system alone. Here at Setareh Law Firm, we are proud to offer unparalleled legal services to plaintiffs all over California. Our team of experienced professionals will build a solid defense strategy for your case to help you get the compensation you need.
Don’t wait to move forward with your case. Get in touch with us for your free consultation at (310) 659-1826 or by contacting us online.