Beverly Hills SUV Rollover Accident Attorney
Have You Been Injured in an SUV Rollover Accident?
A vehicle rollover accident is one of the worst kinds of car accidents you can be involved in. While rollover car accidents compose only 3 percent of all serious crashes, they account for approximately 30 percent of car accident fatalities. Rollover car accidents are more likely to result in devastating injuries and fatalities than any other kind of collision.
The rising popularity of SUVs has been accompanied by an increase in rollover accidents. Due to their shape, SUVs are more prone to rollover accidents than traditional car models. If you have been the victim of an SUV rollover accident, you should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to ensure you receive proper compensation. Below is some important information to know about SUV rollover accidents.
SUV Safety and Rollover Accidents
While the specific circumstances of a crash can cause any vehicle to roll over, taller, narrower vehicles—such as SUVs—are more susceptible to tipping because they are top-heavy and thus have a higher center of gravity. When a car turns a sharp corner or curve, sideway forces shift the center of gravity to one side of the car. This can have a significant impact on a car’s balance. These lateral forces increase with speed and rapid changes of direction, such as a sharp, sudden turn. The resulting transitions can cause a pendulum effect, which can result in a loss of vehicle control.
For rollover accidents, SUVs pose two key safety concerns:
- They are more likely to roll over than traditional car models.
- They are more likely to cause fatalities to occupants of the other vehicle.
If you use an SUV as your primary mode of transportation, it is important to know some strategies for safe operation.
Strategies for Safe Driving in an SUV
Although the design of SUVs places drivers at an increased risk of rolling over, there are some strategies for safe SUV driving that can prevent rollover accidents. If you own an SUV, consider the following tips and safety practices to prevent rollover accidents.
- Newer SUVs have the most up-to-date safety systems. So, if you are planning to buy an SUV, investing in a newer vehicle is probably the best choice.
- When driving in an SUV, always wear your seat belt. Seat belts are effective at preventing passengers from getting tossed around in a crash. Most rollover fatalities occur because drivers are ejected from their vehicles.
- Be sure to regularly check your tires. If your tires aren’t in good shape or aren’t at the recommended tire pressure, it could put you at a higher risk for a rollover accident.
- Don’t overload your vehicle. Overloading an SUV is one of the leading causes of rollover accidents. When you overload an SUV, you decrease its stability and balance.
- When driving an SUV, be sure to watch your speed. Speed increases a vehicle’s likelihood to roll over.
Steps to Take After an SUV Rollover Accident
SUV rollover accidents are among the most traumatic car accidents you can be involved in. In the moments after a car accident, it can be challenging to take the necessary steps to ensure you receive fair compensation. While you may feel overwhelmed and disoriented, it is important to take the following actions:
- Evaluate the injuries from the crash and, if needed, call for medical help immediately.
- Call the police to the scene; a police report provides essential evidence in a personal injury or insurance claim.
- If you can, use your phone to take pictures of the scene, your injuries, and any damages to your car.
- Avoid apologizing or admitting fault for the accident, as this can make it very hard for you to have a successful claim process.
- Gather witness statements from people who saw the accident occur.
- If you don’t have obvious injuries, you should still seek medical attention, as some conditions caused by a crash can have a delayed onset.
After you leave the scene of the accident, you should report the accident to your insurance company and speak to a Beverly Hills personal injury attorney. Unfortunately, many insurance companies fight to pay the lowest settlement possible. With the help of a personal injury lawyer, you can ensure you receive proper compensation for your damages and injuries.
After a car accident, the last thing you want to think about is filing an insurance or personal injury claim. However, California has a strict two-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases. After that period passes, you lose your right to file a personal injury claim. Taking essential steps in the days and weeks following your accident will ensure that you have the proper documentation and evidence for a successful claim process. If you have been the victim of an SUV rollover accident in Beverly Hills, the legal professionals at Setareh Law are here to help.
Our team prides ourselves on providing unmatched legal representation for plaintiffs across California dealing with personal injury and car accident matters. Our practice concentrates on going the extra mile to protect the rights of each of our clients. As members of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal counsel. To schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled personal injury lawyers, call today at 310-659-1826 or fill out our online contact form.