310-659-1826 | 844-666-1826 Se Habla Espanol

Getting into a car accident is a big enough headache all on its own. From obtaining medical treatment for your injuries to working with the insurance company to get your car fixed, there are numerous items to check off your to-do list. That list gets longer and more complicated, however, if the other party involved in the accident didn’t have insurance.

You might think that if you got into an accident with an uninsured driver, you’re in for a total loss. That’s not the case. In Beverly Hills, Setareh Law is here to help you understand how to recover compensation from the at-fault party, even if they didn’t have insurance.

How to Understand Comparative Fault in California

The first step in knowing what to do if you’re in an accident with an uninsured driver is understanding the comparative fault concept in California. Comparative fault allows a person to seek damages for an accident even if they’re partially at fault. That means even if you’re 60% responsible for the accident, the other party is responsible to pay 40% of your damages.

In a typical comparative fault case, the insurance company of the opposite party takes care of the portion of the claim they’re responsible for. However, if the other driver wasn’t carrying the state-required insurance, they’re personally liable for the portion of the accident they were responsible for.

Getting the compensation you deserve after an accident with an uninsured driver isn’t simple. That’s why it’s important to follow all of the appropriate protocols, gather evidence, and contact a trusted attorney as soon as possible.

How to Follow Proper Protocols After an Accident

The time immediately after an accident is extremely important for your case. If you’re able to, following these steps will help your case for compensation:

  1. Call local law enforcement and inform them of the accident
  2. Obtain an official police report 
  3. Exchange insurance information (if they have it) with the other driver, along with personal information including their name and phone number
  4. Contact your insurance company once you’re safely at home
  5. Contact a knowledgeable attorney about the appropriate next steps

These steps will help you obtain the information you need regarding your accident. A police report serves as an official document and helps provide proof that the other party was uninsured. With this information, you’ll be able to pursue the other driver in a personal lawsuit if they had no insurance.

Getting The Compensation You Deserve

When attempting to settle a car accident claim, it’s imperative to keep your guard up. If you’re pursuing the other party personally, it’s likely they will attempt to get you to settle for less than you deserve. You might be contacted on the phone without warning by a representative for the other party with an offer to settle. If this happens, it’s important to talk to your attorney before you accept it. Remember, you’re entitled to compensation for:

  • Medical bills
  • Injury rehabilitation
  • Equipment to manage your injury
  • Lost wages
  • Future loss of wages
  • Pain and suffering

If the other driver was insured, their insurance company would cover the cost of your personal injury claim up to their insurance limits of liability. You can pursue a financial settlement personally with the help of an attorney.

Hire an Experienced Beverly Hills Accident Attorney

In Beverly Hills, the top choice for personal injury attorneys is Setareh Law. At our firm, we do everything we can to settle your personal injury claim and get you the compensation you deserve. Whether your accident was due to reckless driving, distracted driving, or a driving mistake, we will work hard in your favor in pursuit of the other party. 

For a free consultation, call 310-659-1826 or contact us online today. We’ll do whatever possible to restore your pre-accident lifestyle and financial well-being.

FREE CASE EVALUATION!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.