Salinas Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and Fall Lawyer in Salinas, California
Slips and falls are among the most common types of personal injuries that can happen to anyone. A moment of carelessness or neglectful maintenance can result in serious falls, leaving victims with physical, emotional, and financial burdens.
Slip-and-fall accidents are preventable with appropriate maintenance and by practicing sensible care for those working, living, or visiting the premises. Property owners owe their workers and visitors a duty of reasonable care. If you have been injured in a Salinas slip-and-fall accident, seek the help of an experienced Salinas slip-and-fall lawyer at Setareh Law.
Why Do Slips and Falls Happen?
Slips or trips and fall incidents are unexpected and can happen while doing everyday tasks such as taking a walk or grocery shopping. In almost every case, there is an underlying cause, especially regarding the state of the premises. However, some common reasons that these accidents occur include:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Uneven floors or cracked sidewalks
- Falling objects, like overstacked boxes or shelves
- Loose or torn carpeting, damaged floorboards
- Inadequate lighting
- Hazardous uncleared debris at construction sites or commercial establishments
- Broken or missing handrails
- Icy or snowy floors, stairs, or footpaths
- Abrupt flooring gradient changes
- Hidden hazards, such as a hole in the ground
- Unsafe stairs or escalators
Sometimes, slip-and-fall accidents can be extremely dangerous and may cause life-changing injuries. If someone was responsible for the perilous state of the property, you may be eligible for compensation to cover your medical costs and other damages.
Understanding California Premises Liability
Premises liability law holds property owners and managers responsible for maintaining a safe environment, free from hazards, for those who visit their premises. Known risks should be averted immediately, or warning signs should be erected to warn people about the condition.
Whether it’s a retail store, restaurant, private residence, or public space, the property owner has a duty of care towards guests and visitors. When they fail to uphold this duty and their negligence results in a slip-and-fall accident, they may be held liable for the injuries sustained by the victim.
Proving Negligence in a Salinas Slip-and-Fall Accident
You can file a slip-and-fall claim against the individual or group that owns, occupies, controls, or is leasing the property. To establish a premises liability claim in Salinas, you need to prove the following elements of negligence:
- Duty of care: You must prove that the defendant owed you a duty of care to maintain a safe environment
- Breach of duty: The defendant failed to fulfill their duty of care by allowing hazardous conditions to exist
- Causation: You need to establish a direct link between the breach of duty and the slip and fall injuries, proving that the hazardous condition directly caused your injuries
- Damages: This is documented evidence of the injuries and damages suffered due to the accident.
The statute of limitations in California gives slip-and-fall victims two years from the date of the accident to seek compensation for their injuries. If a claim is not filed within this time frame, the injured party may lose the right to seek compensation through the court system.
Compensation for Slip-and-Fall Accidents
If you’ve been injured in slips or trips and fall in Salinas due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for damages. California offers compensation for the following damages:
These damages aim to restore the plaintiff to the financial position they were in before the incident. They may include:
- Medical Expenses: This is coverage for current and future medical treatments, hospital bills, and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost Wages: This is reimbursement for the income lost during recovery, as well as loss of future earning capacity.
- Property Damage: This is a settlement for any personal belongings damaged in the incident, such as electronic devices or clothing.
Your attorney can help you determine the amount you are owed in economic damages.
These damages are more subjective and compensate the plaintiff for intangible losses. They address non-financial hardships resulting from the injury, such as:
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
California has specific laws and limits on certain types of damages in personal injury cases, which vary depending on the nature of the case and the defendant involved. Consulting with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney can help ensure that all relevant damages are adequately assessed and pursued in a claim or lawsuit.
Get Expert Legal Advice From a Salinas Slip-and-Fall Lawyer
Suffering injuries from a slip-and-fall accident can be overwhelming. However, you can get the compensation you’re owed due to the property owner’s negligence.
Our team of Salinas slip-and-fall attorneys has years of experience dealing with such situations. We will work diligently and do everything we can to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our Salinas slip-and-fall lawyers. You can also call us at (310) 659-1826. Our team speaks Spanish as well.