Personal Injury Lawyer in Bakersfield, CA
Bakersfield Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury cases can be overwhelming to deal with on your own, especially if you don’t know the next steps to take in order to get the compensation you deserve. These cases can greatly vary in how they happen, leading to even more confusion during the legal process.
However, there’s so much more to personal injury than what the term itself may imply. If you’ve suffered injuries in a Bakersfield personal injury case, especially if they were due to no fault of your own, partnering with a personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve and help you get your life back on track. Setareh Law will be with you throughout the entire legal process.
What Are Personal Injuries?
Personal injuries can occur in several ways. In certain instances, such claims can also include damage to your property. A few examples of a personal injury case include:
- Accidents: This is when someone causes you injury due to carelessness and negligence. Types of accidents include slips and falls, medical malpractice, and car accidents.
- Intentional Acts: These occur when a defendant hurts the plaintiff as a matter of intentional conduct. They mostly fall under torts and can include such acts as assault and battery.
- Defective Products: These are products that do not work as they should, thus leading to financial or physical trauma. These could be electronics, medical devices, and car parts.
- Defamation: This is where someone resorts to slander and libel in an effort to soil your reputation.
As a person who has suffered some type of personal injury, you’ll need three grounds for which to bring the suit before a court of law. These are:
- Negligence: This is the most common ground for filing a personal injury claim. It usually involves the individual who caused the injury failing to show a level of care expected of someone of sound mind.
- Intentional Wrongs: The second most observed ground includes acts where the person who brought about the injury intended to carry out the act, and actually went through with it.
- Strict Liability: It holds defendants liable for the actions committed, despite their state of mind or intent. For example, if a manufacturer were to sell you a defective product, they would be responsible for injury, whether they acted negligently or not.
While many personal injuries tend to be those that deal with the body, there are also non-bodily injuries like malicious prosecution, infliction of emotional distress, invasion of privacy, and more.
Types of Damages You May Receive in a Personal Injury Case
If you decide to go forward with a suit against the person who caused you injury, then your attorney will have to prove to a court that the other party was at fault. For this, the attorney must show that the defendant:
- Was supposed to show you a reasonable standard of care
- Failed to meet the obligation
- Negligently or intentionally caused you injuries
- Made you incur a financial burden to treat or recover from your injuries
Once your lawyer has enough evidence to prove the above, you’ll be entitled to sue for damages from the offending party’s insurance company, or through a personal injury lawsuit. The damages you can recover can encompass the following criteria:
- Economic Damages: These include your present and future medical costs, current and subsequent income loss, and also property damage.
- Non–Economic Damages: These can include physical disfigurement, pain, suffering, and mental anguish.
- Punitive Damages: The court may order the at-fault party to pay punitive damages in cases where the offending party was intentionally or extremely reckless as they were causing the personal injury.
When you work with an injury attorney, you find the best possible compensation package to pray to the court for, but there are more reasons.
How Can a Bakersfield Injury Attorney Help Your Case?
When you sustain an injury due to another’s negligence, the law allows you to seek and obtain compensation. It’s ideal to let a qualified and experienced professional handle the claim on your behalf to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
While you have every right to represent yourself, you may not know the full extent of the worth of your injury case. An attorney who has relationships with accident experts is better placed to research how much you receive in compensation. In other cases, accidents may not have a clear person to blame. Having a qualified attorney means you have someone who will sift through the evidence to find the person responsible.
Since California is a comparative negligence state, the defending party may try to lay some of the blame on you. If they successfully prove this, they may be able to significantly cut down the compensation you receive. A personal injury lawyer can help make sure you get as much compensation as you are owed.
Contact Experienced Bakersfield Personal Injury Lawyers at Setareh Law Today
Getting an attorney allows you to have someone dedicated to advocating for your best interests. Setareh Law is a team of lawyers who can do just that. Our passion is to help our clients receive justice and relief from the wrongs done to them by others. Our team also speaks both Spanish and English.
With our extensive knowledge of personal injury, you can rest assured that we are able to fight for you. To know more about how we can help your cause, get in touch with us via phone at (310) 659-1826 or simply fill out the contact form on our website.