Santa Rosa Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck Accident Attorney in Santa Rosa, California
Trucks tend to weigh 20 to 30 times more than passenger cars. When trucks collide with passenger cars, the results are often catastrophic because of the large size and weight of commercial trucks. These accidents are devastating for everyone involved, but occupants of smaller passenger vehicles are especially at risk.
At Setareh Law, our truck accident lawyers understand the devastating effect a truck accident has on the victims and their families. Our attorneys can guide you through the process of recovering compensation and take the legal burden off your shoulders so you and your family can focus on your recovery.
Most Common Type of Truck Accidents
There are numerous motor vehicle accidents that occur all across California every year. Some include large commercial trucks, tractor-trailers, and other large trucks. These accidents often end with destruction to the vehicles and harm to the drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.
Common types of truck accidents include:
- Blindspot accidents: a trucker fails to see a nearby car due to the truck’s larger blind spot resulting in a collision when the car or the truck is turning or making a lane change.
- Head-on collision: a truck crossing into oncoming traffic leading to a head-on collision
- Jackknifes: trucker forcefully breaks their truck, causing the truck’s axle to lock and making the trailer skid and stop at a 90-degree angle to the tractor. This can cause truck drivers to lose control, leading to serious accidents.
- Lost load accidents: improperly secured or unbalanced cargo is dangerous because it can fall from the truck during transit or cause the truck driver to lose control.
- Rear-end collisions: trucks that crash into the back of passenger vehicles can cause severe damage.
- T-bone accidents: truck crashing into the side of another vehicle; this often happens when a truck stops at a stop sign or red light.
- Tire blowouts: a tire bursting in transit can lead to the truck driver losing control of their vehicle.
- Truck rollovers: a truck that turns a corner too quickly, hits a corner too quickly, or a truck driver that loses control can cause the truck to roll over and crash into other vehicles on the road.
- Underride accidents: a car that crashes into a truck may become lodged underneath the truck’s trailer, and the car’s roof may be torn off, possibly resulting in fatal injuries for those inside.
- Wide-turn accidents: a truck driver may swing to the left to make a sharp right turn, but this can endanger other smaller vehicles in their path.
Truck accidents are inherently dangerous and often result in life-altering and life-threatening injuries. For victims and families, the aftermath of having to deal with filing a claim to pursue compensation can be an added stress that makes the entire incident more difficult. Fortunately, victims and families can work with a skilled and passionate truck accident lawyer who can help them through the process and ensure their best interests are protected.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
Immediately after the accident can be a chaotic time filled with a lot of fear and confusion. However, for your safety and protection of your rights, it’s important to remain calm. The initial truck accident report can help strengthen your claim should you pursue a personal injury lawsuit. After an accident, it’s recommended that you take the following steps:
- Contact emergency services
- Speak with as much detail as possible but don’t apologize in any way
- Get the truck’s license plate
- Get the truck driver’s insurance and truck registration
In the days following the accident, you can contact the police department of your area to request information about the accident for your own records. These documents are vital tools for your attorney should you contact them to help you pursue a personal injury claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
There are various reasons why truck accidents occur, with many contributing factors from the truck driver’s state of mind to problems with the roadways or with the truck itself. Common driver-related factors that contribute to truck accidents include:
- Physical impairment of the driver
- Distracted driving
- Bad driving habits, like speeding
- Substandard performance that results in driver panic
- Inadequate surveillance
- Prescription and over-the-counter drug use
Other common factors that contribute to an accident include:
- Brake problems
- Unexpected traffic congestion
- Issues on the roadway
- Problems within crosswalks
The factors contributing to truck accidents are vital to forming a strong claim. Determining the cause of the accident can help establish liability and whether negligence was involved.
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident?
Establishing truck accident liability can be challenging because of the number of people and organizations involved in trucking operations meaning that one or more parties may be liable.
Some of the parties that may be liable for the accident include:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The truck’s owner
- The truck’s manufacturer
- The truck’s loading company
The accident must be thoroughly investigated to determine liability. An attorney can help you look into the accident to make sure there’s a clear understanding of what caused the accident and who was negligent. Experienced attorneys know how to look for and collect evidence, speak with witnesses, negotiate with insurance companies, and speak with the truck driver or trucking company on your behalf.
How Long After a Truck Accident Can You File a Claim?
If you’re involved in a truck accident in California, you have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury claim. In the unfortunate event that the accident results in a fatality, the surviving family also has two years from the date of the deceased’s death to file a wrongful death claim. If you only need to file a claim for property damage, the statute of limitations is three years from the accident date.
While two years may seem like plenty of time to file a claim, submitting your claim before the deadline is paramount to not only give your lawyer enough time to build a strong case, but to protect your right to compensation.
Contact a Santa Rosa Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Being in a truck accident can have life-changing effects that completely alter the life of those that survive. At Setareh Law, we have handled numerous truck accident cases and know how to build strong claims to help ensure our clients get the compensation they deserve. Our attorneys are dedicated to ensuring our clients feel supported and confident that their best interests are protected.