Union City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer

Pedestrian Accident Injury Attorney in Union City, California

Whether you’re walking home from work or out on the town with some friends, you deserve to feel safe in Union City. The sidewalks throughout the city are meant for you to use, as are the crosswalks and pedestrian-safe intersections. Any party who violates your right to use these structures safely can be held accountable for their negligence and you may get a settlement.

Union City pedestrian accident lawyers like those of Setareh Law work with victims of pedestrian accidents to hold the negligent parties accountable. Whether you want to pursue negotiations for a settlement or take your case to court, you can count on the Spanish-speaking Setareh Law team to help you fulfill your goals. 

What to Include in Your Pedestrian Accident Civil Complaint

In the wake of a pedestrian accident, you have the right to bring applicable documents describing your case forward before a civil judge. The form you submit regarding your losses is known as a civil complaint. You need to use a complaint outlining a pedestrian accident to detail:

  • What evidence you have in order to establish negligence in your case
  • The identity of the party whose negligence resulted in your losses
  • What bills or other losses you may have in relation to your accident
  • Evidence of the economic value of your pedestrian accident

You have a limited amount of time to bring all of this information forward. You must abide by the statute of limitations set forth by the state of California. Specifically, you have to abide by the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1

This code limits your actionable time to two years from the day a pedestrian accident takes place. You must file within this time period if you want to benefit from the rights afforded to you by the state of California. Fail to take action within the applicable time period, and you may not have the opportunity to pursue compensation through civil courts.

Bringing Forward Evidence of Pedestrian Accident Negligence

When elaborating on the nature of negligence in your pedestrian accident case, you need to bring forward evidence determining both who to hold responsible for your losses and what nature of negligence that party engaged in. The evidence that can suit your case can include:

  • Medical bills related to your post-accident care
  • Debris from the accident
  • Video footage from the accident, including storefront footage and/or dash cam footage
  • Photos from the scene of the accident
  • Bystander statements
  • Statements from expert witnesses

Once your legal team has access to this information, they can bring together the story of your accident to present to a judge or other representative. This data can establish liability for your losses as well as the value of the losses in question.

Who to Hold Responsible for a Pedestrian Accident

The person you hold liable for your pedestrian accident losses may not be a person at all. While motorists and similar parties may be responsible for your accident, they may alternatively work for institutions that offer them some manner of legal protection. 

For example, corporate employees involved in roadway accidents may benefit from the advice of a corporation’s legal team. If government officials appear liable for your losses, their qualified immunity may limit your right to pursue compensation for your losses through civil court. The parties most often held liable for your pedestrian accident losses can include:

  • Motorists or motorcyclists
  • Bicyclists
  • Truck drivers
  • Corporate drivers and on-duty employees
  • Government officials
  • Construction crews
  • Shop owners and landowners

It’s important to take note of who was involved with your case so you know what information to gather. 

Calculate the Worth of Your Pedestrian Accident Case

Establishing the value of your pedestrian accident determines what compensation you may be entitled to. You need to include an estimate of your possible compensation in your initial complaint so that a judge and affiliated parties may understand what the value of your case looks like.

The damages to which you may be entitled vary depending on the nature of your pedestrian accident. In most cases, however, you can include:

  • Medical expenses related to post-pedestrian accident care
  • The cost of replacing your damaged property
  • Lost time at work
  • Lost opportunities to pursue alternative employment
  • Emotional distress
  • Stress 
  • Mental health concerns
  • Wrongful death and/or funeral expenses, as appropriate

We combine your post-accident bills with state-approved multipliers to establish the total value of your case. You can learn more about the multipliers in question and your estimated compensation during an initial case consultation with a Union City personal injury lawyer.

Take Back Control of Your Pedestrian Accident Case

When you file a civil complaint after a pedestrian accident, you retake control of your right to compensation. Specifically, you get the opportunity to choose whether you pursue compensation in or out of court.

You can choose to meet with the party allegedly liable for your losses on your own time. These out-of-court negotiations allow you to present an estimate of your case’s value without the oversight of a judge. If the party liable for your losses appears amenable to these conversations, you may reach a settlement agreement in no more than a few weeks.

It’s still in your best interest to have an attorney on hand when you start to have conversations about pedestrian accident settlements. If these conversations take an aggressive turn, you may need to transition your case into a trial. Trials take longer to resolve than negotiations, but they allow a judge and jury to offer input on your losses.

For example, gross negligence or recklessness can see a judge add punitive damages to your case. While you can’t request pedestrian accident punitive damages in your initial claim, these damages can significantly increase the value of your case.

You Can Talk to Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at Setareh Law Today

No one wants to deal with the aftermath of a pedestrian accident. If you’re forced to contend with accident-related losses, though, know that you don’t have to do so alone. You can contact the Union City pedestrian accident attorney to discuss your right to legal action and the means through which you can facilitate easy recovery.

Setareh Law’s representatives are available to discuss your case today. Call us at (310) 659-1826 or use our online contact form to schedule your case consultation today. 

Free Case Evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.