Union City Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal Injury Attorney in Union City, CA
When people think of a personal injury accident, the first thing they think of is a motor vehicle accident. Whether it’s a car accident, commercial truck accident, or motorcycle collision, these types of accidents occur often. However, a personal injury accident doesn’t just cover motor vehicle accidents. It’s a term to describe an accident caused by a person’s or entity’s negligence which results in an injury. Victims of personal injury accidents are potentially entitled to compensation for any losses they sustained due to their injury.
A Union City personal injury lawyer can help you build a strong case so that you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible. At Setareh Law, we have over thirteen years of experience helping clients build their cases to achieve the best possible outcome. Our lawyers have the knowledge and skills needed to represent you and your claim best.
What Accidents Are Considered Personal Injury?
Personal injury accidents refer to an accident that occurred because of someone’s negligence. Apart from motor vehicle accidents, the following are also considered personal injury accidents:
While most think of warehouses or active worksites when they think of workplace accidents, they can occur in any workplace. Whether your workplace is an office building, a restaurant, or a construction site, an individual’s or entity’s negligence can lead to devastating accidents.
Dog Bite Accidents
When you think of dogs, you might think of a sweet puppy or friendly old dog. However, not all dogs are friendly. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be held responsible for your injuries.
A slip-and-fall accident doesn’t immediately sound dangerous. Most people have tripped at least once in their lives, but then they simply got back up and kept on with their day. Unfortunately, not everyone can keep on going after a slip-and-fall accident. Someone forgetting to block something off can have dire consequences for victims, and the party forgetting to add fall prevention measures may be held responsible.
How to File a Personal Injury Claim
With the exception of work-related injuries, most personal injury claims will be handled by California’s civil court system. To file a personal injury claim in California, follow these five steps:
1. Establish Legal Standing
Before filing a lawsuit in California, you must prove you have legal standing. This means you have a right to file a claim by proving:
- You have a direct connection to the subject of the lawsuit
- You are an actual legal entity
- You have legal capacity
Once these are established, you can move forward with your claim.
2. Hire a Lawyer
A major contributing factor to your claim’s success is having good representation for yourself and your claim. An experienced Union City personal injury lawyer will know how to build a strong case for you to receive fair compensation for your losses.
3. Determine the Venue for Your Claim
The venue is what county to file your claim. It is possible to file a claim in a county where:
- Where there are a majority of witnesses
- Where the injury took place
- Where either you or the defendant lives
- Where either you or the defendant have your principal place of business
Your lawyer can best advise you on which venue is best suitable for the success of your claim.
4. File Your Claim within the Statute of Limitations
If you miss the deadline of the statute of limitations for your injury, you lose the right to file a lawsuit. In California, you have two years from the date of the injury to file your claim.
5. File a Complaint
Typically, your attorney will attempt to reach a settlement agreement with the defendant before filing a lawsuit. If both parties cannot reach an agreement, then your lawyer will move forward by filing a summons and complaints with the court.
- Summons: Notifies the defendant of the lawsuit.
- Complaint: Outlines the circumstances of your injury, the defendant’s liability, and how much you are demanding in damages.
Filing the complaint can be complex to understand, but your personal injury lawyer will be able to explain the process to you for your specific scenario.
What Damages Can You Recover from a Personal Injury Claim?
When someone else’s negligent actions lead to an accident that leaves a person injured, the victim has the right to file a personal injury claim. In California, when a person files a personal injury claim, they can pursue financial compensation from the at-fault party in the form of damages. The damages that victims may be eligible for include:
- Medical Expenses: Victims may suffer extensive injuries that result in costly medical bills. They deserve compensation for those costs associated with their injury, from initial emergency treatment to continuous recovery treatment.
- Lost Wages: If the injuries the victim sustained limits their ability to work, they have the right to compensation for wages they lost due to their injury.
- Lost Earning Potential: Chronic pain or a disability may prevent the victim from being able to work or advance in their career. Being unable to work results in lost earning potential within their line of work.
- Property Damage: If the victim’s property was damaged during the accident, the at-fault party should pay the cost of repairs or pay for replacing the damaged property.
- Pain and Suffering: Accident victims can potentially deal with a lot of pain and suffering. They should get compensated for any losses they suffer due to their physical and mental injuries.
If you are unsure of what personal injury damages apply in your case, you can consult with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer. Their legal counsel can help ensure you get the total amount of compensation owed to you.
Work with an Experienced Union City Lawyer to Build a Strong Personal Injury Claim
Personal injury accidents can leave victims with life-altering injuries. At Setareh Law, we understand how traumatic a personal injury accident can be and are proud to help our clients through their difficult times. If you or a loved one has been injured because of someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be fairly compensated for your losses. With over thirteen years of experience, our team of dedicated personal injury lawyers knows how to help our clients pursue the justice they deserve. To set up a free consultation, fill out this form or call (310) 659-1826. Consultations are also available in Spanish.