Legally reviewed by:
Setareh Law
March 4, 2022

Like private property owners, the government is responsible for ensuring their public and government properties are safe. However, just because you fell on government property does not mean that the government authority that owns or manages the property is legally liable. From a general premises liability standpoint, as seen with private property, a government entity is only liable for a slip and fall accident if the government entity or an employee was negligent, and the negligence led to your accident. Furthermore, in a premises liability claim, you must prove that the government entity was aware or should have had reasonable knowledge of the unsafe conditions and failed to take action to fix the conditions.

Proving negligence in any type of premises liability claim can be complicated. When dealing with a larger entity like the government, the process of proving they had reasonable awareness of their properties’ unsafe conditions can be challenging. Having a trusted and experienced property liability lawyer at your side can help ensure you have the necessary resources and evidence to back up your claim. At Setareh Law, we have years of experience handling premise liability and personal injury claims. We fully understand the complexities surrounding liability issues and are here to help you build a strong claim.

How to File a Slip-And-Fall Claim against the Government in California

Depending on the circumstance of your slip-and-fall incident, if you are injured on government property in California, you may have grounds to file a premises liability claim against the entity that owns the building or land where the fall took place. Take the following steps if you wish to pursue a claim against a government entity after a slip-and-fall accident.

Take Photos

Before leaving the scene of the slip-and-fall, if your condition and health allow, it’s beneficial to take photos documenting the unsafe conditions that caused your accident. These photos can be used as evidence in your claim.

Report It

Call the entity that owns the property and report your slip-and-fall incident as soon as you can. Make sure to document the exact time, date, and location of the fall. Before filing a claim against a government entity, you must file a formal notice of injury with the proper governmental entity.

Seek Medical Attention

Even if you don’t believe you need immediate medical care, having the initial report from a medical professional can make a significant difference in your claim.

Document the Accident

Keep all documents relating to the incident and your injuries. Write down a detailed report of what happened, being as specific as you can. Keep copies of all documents to ensure you have them all at hand.

Keep Clothes and Shoes

Keeping everything you wore on the day the accident took place is beneficial to your claim as your clothing may contain evidence of the property’s unsafe condition.

Additionally, in California, the deadline to file a claim against a government entity is six months from the date of the accident. When it comes to meeting deadlines and ensuring all the necessary paperwork is filed, it is best to have an experienced attorney at your side.

Setareh Law Can Help with Your Premise Liability Claim

At Setareh Law, we are dedicated to protecting our clients’ rights. We passionately believe that trust is the first step in every attorney-client relationship, which is why we pride ourselves on providing unmatched legal representation for residents across California. Our attorneys have a proven track record of going up against formidable opposition in defense of the average citizen and helping them pursue justice.

If you or a loved one sustained an injury in a slip-and-fall accident that occurred on government property, Setareh Law is here to help you recover the fair compensation owed to you. You can schedule a consultation by filling out our contact form or calling (310) 659-1826.